Rivington Avenue, Platt Bridge, Wigan, Lancashire WN2 5NG
School update 21st May 2020
21 May 2020 (by admin)
update from school on the June 2020 wider reopening of schools
Dear Parents and Carers
Thank you for all your continued messages of support and appreciation.
I have been inspired by the enormous efforts of all our children and school staff. We all want to make sure that we’re doing all we can to support you and your child(ren) through this trying time.
Many of you will be aware that our school has remained open throughout the lockdown period so that we could provide critical care for vulnerable children and the children of critical key workers.
This facility will continue for those children and families who have accessed provision during lockdown from the 1st June 2020. We will also continue to provide access to home learning activities via class Dojo for families who have continued to access our remote learning support.
I know that many parents are keen to know of our plans for re-opening more widely, in line with recent Government announcements.
The first thing to say is that the 1st June deadline has always been the earliest date for wider opening - and it marks the beginning of a cautious, planned approach to opening schools more widely. As you will have gathered from the media, this has become a very contentious issue with teaching unions and Government ministers.
Our school and trust is working with the Local Authority to discuss local concerns about a wider return; Wigan schools feel the beginning of this potential wider opening is likely to take at least until 8th June 2020.
We are currently in the process of formalising our plans for the wider return of additional pupils. We should be in a position to share our plans with you on the 29th May 2020. As you can imagine, it is not as simple as just throwing open the doors and welcoming more children back to school. A lot of planning is involved to ensure the safety of pupils and the safety of our staff who have been working hard to put things in place to make the school as safe as we possibly can for you.
Our school is therefore awaiting definitive guidance before we confirm our plans with parents and carers. At that point, we will write to those parents and carers who have requested a place for their child. We anticipate this communication to be sent on the 29th May 2020.
Once again, thank you for your continued support and thanks to our staff who continue to work onsite or remotely to support your children.